Designing your kitchen properly will help to ensure that it is not only appealing but functional as well. Depending on your preferences, you can either opt for an open kitchen design or a closed kitchen design. Both types have various benefits and negatives. Before making the decision, you must be aware of these advantages and disadvantages. It will help to make a better judgement. If you are not aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both kitchen designs, mentioned below are a few.
Open kitchen design
More and more homeowners are opting for an open kitchen design in modern homes and apartments. This type of kitchen design has a more informal look and does not have walls separating it from the rest of the home. Also, it gives more visibility into the apartment.
The advantages of an open kitchen design
Mentioned below are a few advantages of an open kitchen design:
- An open kitchen design is not only more productive but entertaining as well. It allows you to stay engaged in conversation with people sitting in the living room while preparing a meal. As a result, the person cooking in the kitchen does not feel left out from family time.
- If you have kids at home, keeping an eye on them can get difficult from the kitchen if it is closed. An open kitchen design will allow you to manage the meals and watch your kids at the same time. You can even interact with them and help them to complete their homework.
- There is sufficient space for the smooth flow of traffic even when more than two or three people are present in the kitchen. You can create a few seating spots for others to sit.
- Since there are no walls or obstacles in an open kitchen design, more natural light can enter indoors. Hence, the interiors appear brighter and more spacious.
The disadvantages of an open kitchen design
Although it is a great option, this design may not be suitable for everyone. Some people prefer a closed design. Here are a few disadvantages of an open kitchen design:
- An open kitchen design does not offer you privacy. Some homeowners prefer having some privacy while cooking meals.
- Since there are fewer walls in an open kitchen design, you do not have space to create storage. As a result, you will not be able to store all your kitchen essentials in the kitchen. Going out of the kitchen time and again to get something will waste a lot of time.
- Smoke, smells, and grimes are produced while cooking. Since there are no walls, they can spread throughout your house. You will have to make additional expenses for installing a chimney to take the smoke out of the kitchen.
- Further, many noises are made while cooking as well. You cannot stop them. Your guests sitting in the living room can easily hear the noises.
Closed kitchen design
The closed kitchen design has been followed for a very long time. In this type of kitchen design, you can ensure more privacy and isolation. All professional kitchens have a closed design. They look good in both traditional and modern setups.
The advantages of a closed kitchen design
A closed kitchen design is preferred because of numerous reasons. Mentioned below are a few:
- The kitchen is one of the places in your home that gets cluttered very fast. You do not want the clutter to stay visible from your living room or dining room. Since closed kitchens have walls, the clutter is not visible from outside the kitchen.
- Since there are walls, you can create more storage. It facilitates the installation of various kitchen appliances as well. Hence, your kitchen design will not only be aesthetically appealing but highly functional as well.
- Noises or smells cannot escape the kitchen when cooking.
The disadvantages of a closed kitchen design
Even though it has some great benefits, the closed kitchen design can be an issue in some cases:
- The closed kitchen design does not allow you to connect the dining space with the kitchen.
- The person preparing the meal gets separated from the rest of the people. You cannot communicate with the other people seated in the living or dining space.
- It cannot hold more than two or three people unless it is quite large.