Most homeowners are petrified of water damage, and probably, their concerns are very justifiable. After all, a plumbing leak or a sudden storm can cause massive damage and lead to material losses. However, the aftermath is more important. If you see signs of water damage, you need to take immediate steps to reduce the damage. In this post, we have 7 steps that will help in such situations.
- Weigh the situation. If flooding and water logging has been caused by an external factor, such as a storm, you need to check for structural damage. Keep in mind that weather information is very important before you can undertake or consider restoration work.
- Inspect the house. Do you see cracked walls or exposed wires? If yes, vacate the house immediately, especially if you have pets and kids at home. Make sure that the property is safe enough for staying.
- Call for help. Talk to your neighbors, family members and friends to find reliable companies for water damage cleanup Mt Prospect IL. If you are checking online, hire a service that’s extremely well reputed and has good reviews from other customers. You can also ask for client references, if needed.
- Don’t wait for long. Yes, you read that right. Ideally, a company should not take more than an hour to offer help for water damage situations. Experts agree that the extent of losses and other issues can be minimized with quick cleaning and drying.
- Ask for a quote. Restoration experts will evaluate your place and surroundings on their visit before offering an estimate. Make sure that you review the price rightly, because service disputes can be pretty annoying and often don’t have fixed solutions. With a quote, you can also reduce hidden charges.
- Be smart. Is the company insured, and will they work with your insurance company? Both are different but very important questions. Workplace mishaps are common with restoration work, and without any worker’s compensation and general insurance, you will have to pay for the losses. Also, if the company can handle your claims and other concerns, it is always an added benefit.
- Be there. If possible, try to be present for the restoration work, although it is not compulsory at all. This will just help in supervising the cleaning and drying process, which must be done with care.
Don’t relay in taking action, because water leaks and flooding can be more dangerous than you think!