Making sure that your house looks aesthetically pleasing is not only beneficial when it comes to impressing visitors. In fact, having a pleasant interior design can help your own mental wellbeing, in various ways. Ensuring that you’re got the perfect setup to relax, work or socialise with your friends can bring a sense of ease to your life that might go unnoticed unless achieved. Scientific studies also indicate that certain colour schemes tend to be much more calming for the mind than others. All in all, here are some top interior design ideas that should help boost your mental wellbeing:
- Ensure plenty of daylight: Although this might sound a little obvious, you’d be surprised how many people neglect our natural need for daylight. As such, there is a great need for this point to be emphasised. Make sure your largest windows are located in the rooms that you’ll be spending time in during daylight hours, such as the living room and the kitchen. This will make sure that you get your fair share of vitamin D, which research has shown to play an important role in warding off depression.
- Install dimmer switches for your lights: As much as getting your share of daylight is important, bright lights are not always suitable around the clock. When it comes to evening, dimming your lights whilst you’re watching television or working can help make sure that you’ve got a healthy circadian rhythm. This will help you sleep well and improve the functioning of your digestive system.
- Make sure you’ve got enough space: A hectic house filled with furniture and stacked with personal belongings often goes hand in hand with a hectic lifestyle. Having enough empty space in your house will help you get around with ease, something which is likely to have a knock-on effect regarding your mental state.
- Build a garden shed or a summer house: Although it’s not exactly a matter of interior design, having a detached shed away from the chaos of a family house can be the perfect escape, whether you use it as a work studio, a hangout area or a cinema room. Summer Houses can also do wonders when the weather is good, providing you with an awesome place to enjoy a barbecue with your friends and family. Such renovations can do wonders for your lifestyle and your health.
- Incorporate nature into your interior design: Sounds of nature, such as the trickling of water or the singing of birds, for many, can help calm one’s soul and relax one’s mind. That’s why ensuring that there are natural aspects to your house’s interior is key to improve your wellbeing. Some ideas might include a small water stream, an indoor waterfall and many plants. You might also be able to take inspiration from Feng Shui interior design styles, which are based on the patterns of nature.